Ways to Practice Portion Control This Holiday Season
Many people fall short of their goals when it comes to sticking with their diets during the holidays. Over the years, our meal portions have grown exponentially, which adds an extra strain to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. These days, everything is super-sized, from our sandwiches and bagels to our to-go cups of coffee. We are eating far more than we need to in any given meal, especially during the holidays. While the holidays are undoubtedly a time to “eat, drink, and be merry”, this should be done in moderation. However, this isn’t always as easy it as it may seem. It can be hard to resist a plate mounted high with all of your favorite holiday dishes, but in order to get through the holidays as healthy as possible, it is important to practice portion control.
Healthy Diet During Holidays
This is why we must re-learn what normal portion sizes are. Here are a few portion control tips to get you through the holiday season:
- Consider Plate Size – If you are struggling with portion control, take a look at your plate size. When compared to the plates your grandmother used, you will notice just how much bigger plates are these days. Try swapping out your large dinner plates for smaller plates, as this will be a great mental trick to help you from overeating.
- Serve Your Own Food – When at a holiday gathering or family dinner, do your best to serve yourself. We all have those people in our family who think they know best when it comes to how much food we need, so nip this problem in the bud by taking control of your own plate.
- Be Selective – You don’t have to try one of everything, especially when attending a party with a bunch of high calorie options. Take a survey of what foods are up for grabs, then be selective when it comes to filling your plate. Don’t waste calories on foods you don’t care that much about, instead opt for the things you love the most.
- Bring a Healthy Alternative – The holidays don’t have to mean fatty, unhealthy foods. There are ways to enjoy your favorite dishes without feeling guilty – all you have to do is find healthy alternatives. By looking for ways to make unhealthy holiday dishes healthier, you won’t have to worry as much about how much you are eating!
- Don’t Give Into Your Cravings – We know it can be hard, but do your best to resist cravings and dive hand first into the bag. If possible, buy single servings and bring healthy alternatives. Nuts, date bars, and nutritious snack items are wonderful options that will keep you from overindulging.
There are many different ways to practice portion control this holiday season, all it takes is a little self-control and awareness. In doing so, you will be setting yourself up for success!